This chicken tortilla soup will warm your tummy on a chilly day. I love this soup because it’s healthy AND filling. A dish the whole family loves!
- 1 rotisserie chicken, picked apart
- olive oil
- salt and black pepper
- 2 large onions
- 3 stalks chopped celery
- 5 chopped carrots
- 4 large galic cloves, chopped
- 2 quarts chicken stock (stock is richer than broth). Look for the boxes at Trader Joes.
- 1 (28-ounce) can crushed tomatoes
- 2 jalapeno peppers, seeded and minced
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander seed
- 6 (6-inch) yellow corn tortillas
For serving: sliced avocado, sour cream, grated Cheddar cheese, cilantro and tortilla chips.
Heat 3 tablespoons of olive oil in a large pot. Add the onions, celery, and carrots and cook over medium-low heat for 10 minutes, or until the onions start to brown. Add the garlic and cook for 30 seconds. Put the cumin and corriander in with the sauteed vegetables for about 10 seconds or until fragrant, just to “wake them up”. Add the chicken stock, can of tomatoes, jalapenos, 1 tablespoon salt, 1 teaspoon pepper. Cut the tortillas in 1/2, then cut them crosswise into 1/2-inch strips and add to the soup. Bring the soup to a boil, then lower the heat and simmer for 20 minutes. Add the shredded chicken and season to taste. Let soup sit for 5-10 minutes before serving. Serve the soup with your choice of: sliced avocado, sour cream, grated Cheddar cheese, and broken tortilla chips.