This soup will warm your body and fill your tummy!
I like to use chicken sausage for this soup, but you can use Italian pork sausage also. Any flavorful sausage of your choice will work!
This is a great meal for the whole family. I left zucchini pieces on the larger side so I can pick them out of the kid's bowls. That's the one vegetable in this soup the kids won't eat. They are missing out!
Winter Sausage and Bean Soup
- 1 pound Italian sausage
- 2 cloves minced garlic
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 2 (14 ounce) cans beef broth
- 1 tsp Beef Bouillon (I prefer "Better Than Bouillon' brand)
- 1 (14.5 ounce) can Italian-style stewed tomatoes
- 4 sliced carrots
- 1 (14.5 ounce) can kidney beans
- 2 sliced zucchini, 1 sliced yellow zucchini
- 1 bunch of Kale, torn into bite size pieces
- ¼ tsp dried basil
- ½ tsp dried oregano
- ¼ black pepper
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- Pecornio Romano, Chili Flakes (optional)
Brown sausage with garlic and onion in a large pot (Dutch Oven). Stir in broth, tomatoes and carrots, and season with basil, oregano, salt and pepper. Make sure to scrape up any brown bits on the bottom of the pot, those add yummy flavor. Simmer about 15 minutes.
Stir in beans and kale. Cover, and simmer another 15 minutes. Add zucchini a few minutes before you are ready to serve. Cook to desired tenderness.
Top with Pecorino Romano and a pinch chili flakes.