These alternative uses for Dawn dish soap will have you looking to buy a second bottle next time you’re at the market.
From as far back as I can remember, I remember there being a bottle of Dawn Dish Soap under our kitchen sink. My Dad worked construction during the week and worked on his hot rods on the weekends, and so his arms and hands were (and still are) almost always covered in grease and grim. I remember him coming in the kitchen dirty as can be and head over to the kitchen sink where he would pull out the Dawn and lather his arms and hands till they went from an oil black to skin color in under 60 seconds. Funny the things you remember right?
Its deep rooted memories like this that have made me a brand loyalist for life. While it is true I am a brand ambassador for Dawn Saves Wildlife and this post is sponsored by them, I am a true believer in this product and am excited to share my ideas.
Here are some of the alternative uses I’ve used Dawn for.
- Windows – Belief it or not, a few drops of dawn into a spray bottle of water works wonders on windows.
- Bath Paints – The kids love to splash around and spend what seems like hours in the tub having the best time. One of our favorite treats was when I made home made bath paint. Simply add 1/2 cup Dawn with 1/2 cup corn starch and 2 tablespoons of water. Pour the mixture into large ice cube trays and then add a few drops of food coloring to each different compartment and mix. Give your kid a brush and viola, bath tub artist at work. They also work great on our outdoor easel.
- Animals – We all know it works on wildlife during oil spills and crisis, but did you know that Dawn kills fleas on contact? It does! Its great when your pet needs a little extra flea treatment without the crazy chemicals.
- Tires – Dawn cuts through the grease of car tires and rims fabulously. Get on out there and try it.
- Laundry – A few drops on your favorite blouse that has a oil stain on the front is magic I tell you.
- Manicures – Soaking your hands in a shallow dish of dawn and water, softens the cuticles and is a perfect home manicure treatment.
- Bubbles – The childhood favorite of making bubbles works great with Dawn. 6 cups water to 1 cup Dawn. Mix carefully making sure to not make it foam. Then add a 1/4 cup of corn starch and your bubble making will be on point!
- Summer Hair – Sunscreen, salt water, and chlorine. I don’t know about your kids, but there have been many a times I go to give them a kiss good night at bed time and get a sniff of sunscreen lingering in their hair. Every few weeks during the summer, we like to give their hair a wash with a few drops of Dawn that gets all the Summer gook out.
- Make-up Brushes – Dawn works great at cleaning those grimy makeup brushes. Clean them thoroughly and let dry flat or with the brushes tilted slightly down as to make sure you don’t ruin your brushes.
- Grill – Dawn works great at cleaning your grill. Removing the grade and cleaning it with dawn removes all the caked on grime.
- Driveway Oil Stains – For any oil stains on the concrete, pour Dawn over the stain. Let sit for an hour and then use a stiff bristle brush and go to town.
Now get to cleaning all the things! 🙂