If you're looking to head to the slopes this winter, then you should definitely consider visiting Squaw Valley.
My daughter and I were recently invited up to Lake Tahoe's Squaw Valley for an the Helmet are Cool event. While the trip was short, we had a great time exploring Squaw Valley and are excited to bring the boys back for a full family vacation.
Squaw Valley is an incredible ski resort located in Lake Tahoe which is right on the border of California and Nevada. Its about 45 minutes from the Reno airport and a just over 3 hours from San Francisco.
Having been the adventurous snow boarder back in my college years (oh man that made me sound so old) but it is true. I would fly or drive off to snowboarding adventures quite a bit in my youth. My adventures took me up to Lake Tahoe for a few different winter trips, but never to Squaw Valley. Now that I've been, I am shaking my head as to why not. Its AMAZING you guys!!!
What makes it so amazing you might ask? Well, here are a few reason I think its a great place to visit as a family.
Visiting Squaw Valley as a Family
- World Class Sking and Snowboarding. They held the Olympics here back in 1960 and its maintained that world class culture ever since. There are terrains for all levels and all ages.
- Everything is within walking distance. Lodging, restaurants, shopping, and all kind of fun activities. This is key when traveling to the snow with the whole family. Its challenging enough getting yourself geared up for skiing/snowboarding and getting your gear to the mountain. Add little ones to the mix and it becomes exponentially more complex. So when everything is within walking distance, you cut down on the complexity a ton.
- Lodging - The Red Wolf Lodge is an awesome place to stay. Its ski-in/ski-out and located right across from the village with easy access to restaurants, shopping and HELLO, did I mention ski-in/ski-out!!! As you can see from the pictures above (from the windows) the views are spectacular. They offer studio rooms, one and two bedroom condos. They have full kitchens which is so great when traveling as a family. They have a hot tub and full entertain room. They also host lots of fun resort activities throughout the week like happy hours, movie nights, wine and cheese socials, and more.
- The village is right there and has some great restaurants and shopping. So awesome.
- There are lots of great activities in addition to the skiing and snowboarding. They have tubing, mini snowmobiling for 6-12 year olds, they have a snowshoeing, cross country skiing, and aerial tram rides. SO MUCH FUN YOU GUYS!!!
We seriously cannot wait to head up to the mountain with the whole family soon. Its one of those places that after you visit once, you will for sure make it an annual trip.