Craving a healthy afternoon snack or appetizer that is both delicious but healthy? These zucchini tater tots with spicy sriracha is just what you are looking for.
These zucchini tater tots are great for everyday snacks or even as a game day appetizer.
Finger foods and Tater tots happen to be our specialty. You will not want to miss our famous Loaded Tater Tot Skewers, Tater Tot Pizza Skewers, Loaded Tater Tot Bites, and our Loaded Tater Tot Nachos.
We highlighted this easy appetizer along with some other finger foods in our Easy Fall Appetizer along with our Easy Super Bowl Appetizers.
Vegetable Appetizer Ideas
I'm always trying to figure out ways to sneak vegetables into my kids' food. Sometimes my efforts are rewarded with HAPPY kids and full bellies and sometimes they still won't eat it; but I keep on trying because that's my job as their Mom.
This week I whipped up some of these delicious zucchini tots in an effort to marry one of America's greatest comfort foods, tater tots, with the lovely zucchini.
It took a few tries to find the right texture, but after I figured that out they were a hit. Serve them with ketchup for the kids or with a side of spicy sriracha mayonnaise for the adults and you're sure to have a party pleasing side dish.
Make sure to save some extra spicy mayonnaise to serve on everything from sandwiches to grilled salmon.
- Grated zucchini (approx. 4 medium zucchini)
- Frozen shredded potatoes
- Olive Oil
- Garlic Powder
- Ground Pepper
For the spicy sriracha mayonnaise
Finely shred zucchini and mix in a medium bowl with frozen shredded potatoes and salt.
We used the fine side of the box grater.
Place zucchini mixture inside a tea towel or cheesecloth and squeeze as much water out of the zucchini.
Hang the mixture over the sink or a large bowl (still wrapped in a tea towel) until the potatoes have thawed and the zucchini has released its liquid (approx. 30 minutes).
Squeeze out the remaining liquid and then remove the mixture from the cloth and place it back in the mixing bowl.
Add the remaining ingredients to the zucchini mixture and stir until combined.
Shape the zucchini tots using approximately 1 Tablespoon of mixture at a time into tater tot shapes and place on a lined baking sheet or cookie sheet with parchment paper.
Bake the tots at 375 degrees for about 20 minutes, turning once during cooking.
Remove from the oven when golden brown and sprinkle with salt. Serve hot.
While the zucchini tots are baking, mix the ingredients for the spicy sriracha mayonnaise in a separate bowl.
*Sriracha is a spicy chili sauce that can be found in the Asian foods section of most grocery stores.
These zucchini recipes are the perfect way to get extra veggies into your children's diet. They are a great side dish for a meal as well.
They are also great served with marinara sauce or your favorite dipping sauce.
Alternative Ingredients Making Zucchini Tater Tots
This easy recipe when made correctly is delicious, but anyone that loves tater tots knows that classic tater tots and cheese go hand in hand. If keeping the recipe dairy-free is not an issue, you can add a ½ cup shredded parmesan cheese or cheddar cheese depending on your preference, and make these cheesy tots.
Also, we purposefully kept these keto zucchini tots gluten-free. If that is not an issue, then you can certainly add bread crumbs to your mixture. If there is excess water in making the zucchini tots super moist, then I would recommend adding a ½ cup of panko breadcrumbs.
Can This Zucchini Tots Recipe be made in the Air Fryer?
Using the air fryer is a great way to cook these tots. Preheat your air fryer to 375 degrees, cook for 3 minutes and then flip them over and cook for an additional 3 minutes.
Additional Zucchini Questions
Now that you are making our zucchini tots, here are a few questions you might have.
What to do with zucchini that got too big?
There are lots of options for cooking the large zucchini. They are great in grated like these zucchini tots or made into zucchini rice. You just want to stay away from eating larger zucchini raw as it loses a lot of its flavor.
How do you cook frozen shredded zucchini?
Cooking frozen shredded zucchini is as easy as heating up in a skillet with some cooking spray or mixed into sauces, stir-frys, or baked goods.
How do you squeeze water out of shredded zucchini?
The easiest way is how we showed you up above. Using a clean dish towel, cheesecloth, or paper towels - the easiest is to squeeze as much liquid out and hang it on a wooden spoon over a bowl or sink for about 30 minutes.
Other Tater Tot Recipes
- If you love Tater Tots as much as I do, then you will adore these Loaded Tots
- These Pizza Tater Tot Skewerscombine two of my favorite dishes into one appetizer. Pizza and Tater Tots.
- Game day or any day is a good day when you try our Loaded Totchos
- Loaded Tater Tot Skewers are the best appetizer ever and so easy to make.
- Carne asada fries are a food group to us in San Diego. These CARNE ASADA POTATO SKINS are our spin on this San Diego favorite.
Zucchini Tater Tots
Cheesy Zucchini Tater Tots
- 2 cups zucchini
- 2 cups potatoes - frozen shredded
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- .5 tsp garlic powder
- .25 tsp ground pepper
- 1 egg
- Finely shred zucchini and mix in a bowl with frozen shredded potatoes and salt.
- Wrap the zucchini mixture inside a tea towel or cheese cloth and squeeze out liquid.
- Hang the mixture over the sink or a bowl (still wrapped in a tea towel) until the potatoes have thawed and the zucchini has released it’s liquid (approx. 30 minutes).
- Squeeze out remaining the liquid and then remove the mixture from the cloth and place it back in the mixing bowl.
- Add the remaining ingredients to the zucchini mixture and stir until combined.
- Shape the zucchini tots using approximately 1 Tablespoon of mixture at a time and place on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper.
- Bake the tots at 375 degrees for about 20 minutes, turning once during cooking.
- Remove from the oven when golden brown and sprinkle with salt. Serve hot.
- While the zucchini tots are baking, mix the ingredients for the spicy sriracha mayonnaise in a separate bowl.
Serving Size:4 people
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 57Total Fat: 3gSaturated Fat: 0gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 2gCholesterol: 16mgSodium: 204mgCarbohydrates: 7gFiber: 1gSugar: 1gProtein: 2g
Nutrition is automatically calculated by Nutritionix - please verify all nutrition information independently and consult with a doctor or nutritionist for any and all medical and diet advice.
CONNECT WITH MADE WITH HAPPY!
Be sure to follow me on social media, so you never miss a post!
Facebook | Twitter | Youtube | Pinterest | Instagram
Looking for crafts to keep your child busy? Sign up for my 5 Ridiculous HAPPY Activities in under 30 minutes for your kids delivered directly to your inbox!
Find and shop my favorite products on my Amazon storefront here!