We love celebrating the lunar new year with fun Chinese New Year Crafts, like this fun Chinese New Year Drum
We encourage our kids to not only learn and love our own cultures and beliefs, but to celebrate those of our neighbors and friends. A few years ago, we celebrated the Chinese New Year with these super fun Chinese New Year Dragon Puppets, and boy were they a hit. We took them to our class where all the kids in class were able to to make them. The following year we celebrated by sharing our fun Felt Fortune Cookies. We were able to personalize our notes and it made for a fun Lunar celebration.
This year, my littles help me decide that we want to make our own
Chinese New Year Drum
Creating a fun craft that the kids can decorate and put their own stamp on is so great for them. There are a few supplies for this project. I am always looking for super cheap deals and so I definitely recommend looking at your local dollar tree or 99 cent store when buying in bulk. I have all the supplies listed for you hear to make it easier on you.
For the printable, you can find it below.
I had so much fun creating the Chinese Lettering for the word HAPPY. In order to create this craft, here are your steps.
- First print out the printables
- Second color in the HAPPY signs
- Next, cut out each circle on the outside of the black circle.
- Using glue (I love how easy spray glue is) glue the circles to each side of the box.
- Using either the end of the scissors, or an x-acto knife, cut a small “x” on one three sides of the box. If you’re looking at it like a compass, you would make an “x” at South, East, and West.
- On the “south” cut, you will be gently pushing the 1/2 inch dowel into the box.
- Thread your ribbon through the sides of the box (East and West). I like to wrap the ribbon around the dowel a few times to make sure your ribbon isn’t falling out one side or the other.
- Tie a few beads to each side of the drum. Depending on the size of the beads, you may need to double wrap the beads and then tie the end. The key is to make sure the beads hit the middle of the box to make the drum sound (approximately 2 inches) There you have it! The HAPPIEST Chinese New Years Drum there ever was!
Chinese New Year Crafts
PIN IT TO YOUR KIDS CRAFTS BOARD ON PINTEREST!
FOLLOW MADEWITHHAPPY ON PINTEREST FOR MORE GREAT CRAFT IDEAS