This salt painting leaves art for kids is a great Fall craft that both parents and kids will love. Free printable fall leaf color pages are included for added fun.
There is something so fun about salt paintings. This Fall leaves painting gives you all the fun Fall feelings as well as a great leaf art that the kids can display all season long.
Kids of all ages enjoy painting. I am not sure if it's the raised 3D type look it gives off or how the watercolors tend to blend together. Regardless, they are so much fun.
Watercolor Leaf Painting
We love utilizing our watercolor paint pallets for art projects. There are some great art techniques that can be learned through watercolor.
Watercolor is not always my kid's first choice when grabbing a paint project. They claim it is because the colors are not as vivid.
I find myself explaining to them that the beauty of watercolor painting is that you can build the color with layers. Layers create a beautiful look and they may find that they love the vivid looks of these layered watercolors more than their thicker counterparts.
Raised Salt Painting
Raised salt art projects are one of the most fun arts and crafts activities for kids. They combine the love of watercolor paint and glue and salt and it's all kinds of fun.
Salt art has become my kid's absolute favorite kind of art project. There are so many different creative ways to create the raised salt painting. The watercolor can bleed into the salt as we show you below.
This simple art activity is a creative way to turn any coloring page into a beautiful piece of art. With these glue salt lines, you can bring your simple art activities to life.
Fall Crafts for Kids
Once the leaves start to turn and the air becomes crisp, I love having an arsenal of Fall kid's crafts and art projects on hand.
There is something about Fall leaves, pumpkins, and apple picking that makes Autumn such a special season. Throughout September, October, and November, all the fun fall activities make for some great crafts for kids.
We highlighted this Fall Craft along with some other fun kid's crafts in our September Crafts for Kids, our 101+ Free Kids Printables as well as our 101+ Easy Craft Ideas for kids.
What you need for your salt art
- Coloring page printed on thick white cardstock (recommended) or watercolor paper if you have it.
- Watercolor paint palette or liquid watercolor paints
- Paint brush
- White glue
- Salt (Table Salt or whatever you have at home)
- Cup of water
How to create your salt and watercolor leaf craft for kids
Start by printing out some fun leaf coloring pages. Free printables below.
Trace around the image on the coloring page with glue.
Sprinkle salt on the glue drawing as you would with glitter. Tap the paper to settle the salt into any grooves. Gently lift the paper it and shake to remove the excess salt. The salt and glue should give a raised effect to your project.
Dip the paintbrush in water and blend with watercolor paints to soften. Saturate the paintbrush with watercolor. Then, gently touch the paintbrush to the salt. The salt absorbs the color and will spread.
Allow the kids art project to dry completely before displaying or gifting.
This fun art project ends with a beautiful Fall themed salt painting.
Can You Paint the Art with Other Options?
Yes, you can certainly use alternatives to the typical watercolor paints. What we love about watercolors is that they easily blend between colors which gives the art a Fall look. They also attach to the salt easily.
You could also get the same effect from liquid watercolors or even drops of food coloring. Using a medicine dropper with colored water will work too.
Tempura or acrylic paints will work as well. I would let the glue and salt dry before adding the paint otherwise it might all combine together to make a salt painting tip on the brush.
Other Toddler and Preschoolers Fall Crafts and Activities
- This beautiful Fall tree craft is great for kids of all ages. It combines colors of Fall, fall leaves, and paper Fall crafts to make one of the easiest and most lovely autumn tree art projects.
- Sharing a fun Fall kids craft with this fabulous apple picking hand print painting. This toddler craft is a fun one for their little hands to get involved.
- What says FALL decoration more than a bowl made out of leaves? We’ve got your DIY Leaf Bowl here.
- We are sharing how to make puffy paint using just two supplies. Sand painting is another fun project.
- Have some fall fun creating these cute owl crafts.
Download Your Free Leaf Coloring Pages
Salt Painting - Leaf Art For Kids
- Start by printing out some fun leaf coloring pages. Free printables below.
- Trace around the image on the coloring page with glue.
- Sprinkle glue with salt as you would with glitter. Tape the paper to settle the salt into any grooves. Gently lift the paper and shake to remove the excess salt. The salt and glue should give a raised effect to your project.
- Dip paintbrush in water and blend with watercolor paints to soften. Saturate the paintbrush with watercolor. Then, gently touch the paintbrush to the salt. The salt absorbs the color and will spread.
- Allow the kids art project to dry completely before displaying or gifting.
CONNECT WITH MADE WITH HAPPY!
Be sure to follow me on social media, so you never miss a post!
Facebook | Twitter | Youtube | Pinterest | Instagram
Looking for crafts to keep your child busy? Sign up for my 5 Ridiculous HAPPY Activities in under 30 minutes for your kids delivered directly to your inbox!
Find and shop my favorite products on my Amazon storefront here!