Celebrate the month of August with your kids and learn lots of August Fun facts including birthstones, flowers, and holidays.
This August Fun Facts month is full of all kinds of holidays, fun, and a whole lot of HAPPY. Learn with us all about August with these fun facts and we have some added crafts and printables that are sure to make you love this 8th month as much as we do!
Before we get into all of HAPPY August, don't forget to check out last month's July Fun Facts too!
Check out our 365+ Fun Facts For Kids
The Month of August
Want to save this project?
Enter your email below, and then we'll send it straight to your inbox. Plus get awesome new projects from us each week.
The month of August is fantastic! Some of the stats about this month include:
- What Month is August? August is the 8th month of the year.
- How Many Days are In August? There are 31 days in the month of August
While the current calendar has August as the eighth month of the year, that wasn't always the case. In the Roman calendar, August was the sixth month of the year. January and February didn't exist.
Each month of the year has a few different symbols within the month. There are birthstones associated with each month, there is a monthly flower and there are astrological symbols. These are all based on the month you were born. Those people that are born in August.
- August Birthstone: Peridot
- August Birth Flower: Gladiolus and Poppy
- Astrology Zodiac Signs of August: Leo and Virgo
- Leo - July 23rd - August 22nd
- Virgo - August 23rd - September 22nd
Holidays in August
August is in the middle of Summer in the northern hemisphere (above the equator). While for many August is wrapping up their fun vacations and heading back to school. There is a lot of fun to be had in August.
In terms of August Holidays here are a few:
- Sister Day - August 1st
- National Friendship Day - August 1st
- American Family Day - August 1st
- Llamas Day - August 1st
- National Girlfriend Day - August 1st
- National Watermelon Day - August 3rd
- International Owl Awareness Day - August 4th
- National Book Lovers Day - August 9th
- S'mores Day - August 10th
- World Elephant Day - August 12th
- Left-Handers Day - August 13th
- National Potato Day - August 19th
- International Geocaching Day - August 21st
- National Tooth Fairy Day - August 22nd
- National Waffle Day - August 24th
- National Park Service Founders Day - August 25th
- Women's Equality Day - August 26th
- National Dog Day - August 26th
- World Rock Paper Scissors Day - August 27th
- National Beach Day - August 30th
Floating Holidays or Monthly Celebrations
- National Video Game Week (first week)
- Be Kind to Humankind Week (fourth week)
- Family Fun Month
- National Golf Month
- National Picnic Month
- Peach Month
- International Pirate Month
Fun August Facts
- August is named after Augustus Caesar (grandnephew of Julius Caesar), the first emperor of the Roman Empire
- August is the last full month of Summer and the end of Winter in the Southern Hemisphere (below the equator)
- August is popularly known as harvest month.
- The Earl of Sandwich invented the sandwich in 1762 - August is now named as National Sandwich Month.
- August is referred to as the dog days of Summer. This is in reference to the hottest and most humid months and that is typically August.
Get ready for an amazing post filled with interesting facts about summer! Discover why summer brings sunny days, beach fun, and tasty seasonal fruits that will make your summer adventures even more awesome.
- Summer is the season when the sun shines the brightest and the days are the longest, giving us more time to play outside and enjoy fun activities.
- During summer, you can visit the beach and build sandcastles, swim in the ocean, and fly kites in the cool breeze.
- Did you know that summer is the time when many fruits and vegetables are in season? Enjoy juicy watermelons, sweet strawberries, and crunchy corn straight from the farm!
- Summer nights are perfect for camping adventures. Roast marshmallows over a campfire, tell stories under the stars, and listen to the sounds of nature.
- In summer, you can have picnics in the park, go on bike rides, have water fights, and explore nature trails. It's a season full of outdoor fun and endless possibilities!
Other Fun August Activities
August is a month full of fun and lovely weather. We have lots of different crafts, printables, and coloring pages.
Fill the month with lots of different crafts full of Sun, Road Trips, Summer themed, and more.
Have some August fun with this free printable August coloring page.
Other Monthly Fun Facts You'll Enjoy
Happy August friends! Especially happy with this free printable August word search.
Download The Free Printable August Fun Facts Sheet
Simply enter your name and email in the form below and you will be taken directly to the free downloadable fun facts sheet.
*For personal use only
CONNECT WITH MADE WITH HAPPY!
Be sure to follow me on social media, so you never miss a post!
Find and shop my favorite products in my Amazon storefront here!