Today is January 14th and you know what that means…
We are one month away from the LOVEliest and most HEARTwarming holidays of them all! Valentines Day!!! YAY! Look for some great ideas coming your way over the next month. We’ll be showing you everything from decorations to what to wear for a romantic night with your honey to kids valentines cards. We’re excited. We hope you are too. To kick off the heartastic holiday, today we’re giving showing you…
DIY Valentines Pinwheels
What makes these little beauties even sweeter is that they are pretty easy to make.
- One piece of 8.5×11 – we chose red paper with pink hearts
- One more piece of paper for the circles in center of the pinwheels
- Paper Straws
- Brass Fasteners
- Circle Cutter (if you have one)
First step is to cut your paper into squares. There are a few ways to do this. If you have a ruler and want to measure out four 4 inch by 4 inch squares you can do it that way. If you don’t have a ruler an easy way to measure out four even squares from a 8.5×11 piece of paper is to fold the short end of the paper over like thisAnd then cut the extra paper off the end. From there fold the square in half and cut. Then fold each of the halves in half again and cut. Viola, you have yourself four square pieces of paper.Once you have your roughly 4 inch by 4 inch piece of paper (however you get to it).
- Fold the piece of paper diagonally in half and unfold
- Fold in half again bringing the opposite diagonal corners together. When you unfold it should look like there is a folded X on the paper.
- If you have a drawing compass – awesome. Place the pointer in the center of the X and draw an approximate 1 inch circle. If you are like me and don’t, then just free hand draw a circle around the center point.
- Using the scissors, cut along the folded lines of the paper down to the circle.
- Using your circle cutter or drawing compass or free-hand, we’re drawing another circle approximately 1 inch diameter in the second piece of paper. These will be used for the center of the pinwheel.
- Either using the scissors, or the fastener itself, make a hole through the center of the paper and then one through the straw, approximately an inch from one end.
- Depending on the side of the paper you want dominating your pinwheel (I wanted the hearts), with that side facing up, fold one side of each cut up to the middle. Attach with glue.
- Now using the glue attach the 1 inch circle you made in step 5.
- Make a hole through the pink paper either using a scissor or the faster(depending on the thickness of the paper) and
- Attach the fastener through the pinwheel and straw and expand on the back.
Viola, you have yourself a pinwheel!
I created the notes on the straws and printed them out. I apologize because I haven’t yet figured out how to make them printable for you all, but you can easily cut a strip of the paper you used to cut the circles out of and write a little not and attach with tape.
For more Valentines fun – Follow our Valentines Pinterest Board